Fuck Paul Ryan,this…thing (because I refuse to accept he is human) is made up of the shit that the lowest base things on this Earth dispose of. I wonder how he would like to be raped physicaly and then raped again by politicians….. motherfucking piece of shit
I know I’ve told this story before, but my abusive ex refused to let me take birth control. I was on the pill until he found them in my purse.
I went to the Student Health Center—they were completely unhelpful, choosing to lecture me about the importance of safe sex (recommending condoms) instead of actually listening to my problem.
Then I went to Planned Parenthood. The Nurse Practitioner took one look at my fading bruises and stopped the exam. She called in the doctor. The doctor came in and simply asked me: “Are you ready to leave him?” When I denied that I was being abused, she didn’t argue with me. She just asked me what I needed. I said I need a birth control method that my boyfriend couldn’t detect. She recommended a few options and we decided on Depo.
When I told her that my boyfriend read my emails and listened to my phone messages and was known to follow me, she suggested to do the Depo injections at off hours when the clinic was normally closed. She made a note in my chart and instructed the front desk never to leave messages for me—instead, she programmed her personal cell phone number into my phone under the name “Nora”. She told me she would call me to schedule my appointments; she wouldn’t leave a message, but I should call her back when I was able to.
And that was it. No judgment. No lecture. She walked me to the door and told me to call her day or night if I needed anything. That she lived 5 blocks from campus and would come get me. That I wasn’t alone. That she just wanted me to be safe.
I never called her to come to my rescue. But I have no doubt that she would have come if I had called. She kept me on Depo for a year, giving me those monthly injections in secret, helping me prevent a desperately unwanted pregnancy.
I cannot thank Planned Parenthood enough for the work they do."
Whenever this story comes up on my dash, it makes me happy and reminds me why I’m going through all this for my MD. I want to be that doctor. Maybe not with women’s* health, but in being able to offer skills that help people, and going about doing it in the way that helps them have control over their own bodies and lives.
And this is why Planned Parenthood is such a vital, necessary service for women. I know they were there for me more than once while I was with my abusive ex-husband. He refused to let me be seen by a gynecologist because he was certain I was taking birth control somehow, which is why he couldn’t get me pregnant. (I have PCOS, so unknowingly he was preventing me from getting pregnant by not letting me get treatment for it.) But, I could stop by planned parenthood without his knowledge and at least get my annuals.
Fucking. Sick. Just go read
Same deal with wearing pants and having a thought that wasn’t approved by your husband/boyfriend or your dad. Don’t even get me started on what happens if you have a girlfriend or wife instead of a man in your life.
- Phenylethylamine or PEA - This is an amine that naturally occurs in the brain and also in some foods, such as chocolate. It is a stimulant, much like an amphetamine, that causes the release of norepinephrine and dopamine. This chemical is found when you are falling in love. It’s responsible for the head-over-heels, elated part of love.
- Norepinephrine - When PEA causes this chemical to be released, you feel the effects in the form of sweaty palms and a pounding heart.
- Dopamine - Dopamine is a neurochemical that appears to be associated with mate selection. An Emory University study found that voles (a type of rodent) chose their mate based on dopamine release. When female voles were injected with dopamine in the presence of a male vole, they could select him from a group of voles later.
- Oxytocin - Dopamine triggers the release of oxytocin, which is sometimes called the ‘cuddle hormone’. In both genders, oxytocin is released during touching. In women, oxytocin is released during labor and breast feeding.
- Testosterone - Though you might think of testosterone as a male hormone, both men and women produce it. Raw lust is accompanied by a surge in testosterone levels.
- Endorphins - Your brain acquires a tolerance to the love stimulants and starts to release endorphins. The honeymoon is over, chemically, around 18 months to 4 years into a relationship. However, this isn’t all bad. Endorphins are associated with feelings of attachment and comfort. Endorphins are like opiates. They calm anxiety, relieve pain and reduce stress.
Coolest thing was learning about these in my Physiological Psychology class last semester, the human body is truly amazing
This is an image from Delhi in India - photo by: Shadi Rahimi (?) - and the MESSAGE IS SO UNIVERSAL… it’s valid anywhere. BLAME the rapist and not the raped woman.
very important question